Ten Bites about Barr Hogen
- Lives in Boulder, Colorado with 3 kids, 1 husband and the worlds’ fattest cat, Pappadam.
- Has Lived: Brazil, France, NYC, Farmington, Ct., Washington, DC, San Francisco, CA.
- Cooking Credentials: Started cooking for survival in elementary school in New York (in the 70’s!) with Felipe Rojas Lombardi from the now defunct Balducci’s; catered to supplement income from high school through my 30’s; started a restaurant in San Francisco, Val 21 in the 90’s; cooked for 2000 people 5 days a week who had a myriad of dietary restrictions and preferences; created recipes and products for Odwalla for 10 years.
- First-Ever Job: Cooking, serving and cleaning up from dinner parties for my mom and her friends.
- Favorite Summer Tipple: White Lillet, over ice
- Favorite type of Food to Cook: Moroccan
- Favorite Cheap Eats: Indian
- Favorite no cook food: Oysters – Kumamotos from the Pacific NW to be precise but any will do.
- Favorite Food Quote: “Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.” – Voltaire
- Favorite Pastime: Shopping for food in unusual markets anywhere.
Ten Tidbits about Kimberly Mayone
- Lives in South Portland, Maine with her hubby, Mark, three children, ages 8 to 15 and one retired greyhound, named Matador.
- Has Lived: Japan, Seymour, CT, Somersworth, NH, Portland, ME, Ithaca, NYand Boston, MA.
- Cooking Credentials: At fifteen, I was fired from my first job ever so I got a job as “the salad girl” at a really cool restaurant called The Great Lost Bear. After attending Cornell’s Hotel School, I traveled in Italy working gratis in bakeries and restaurants. Having managed restaurants between Boston and Portland, I decided it was time to get back in the kitchen. I started as a “juice wizard” for Fresh Samantha juices and taught culinary arts for a spell. My recent work is in recipe development and freelance food writing for corporate clients and various publications. My most recent cookbook is Everyday Gluten-Free Slow Cooking. I am also an adjunct culinary arts instructor at SMCC, c’mon in and join us for lunch.
- First-Ever Job: Babysitting for a precious little baby named Sam, who recently married!
- Favorite Summer Tipple
- Pimms with 7-up
1/3 Pimm’s no 1
Serve in tall glass with lots of ice
Garnish with lime (mint is also yummy)
- Favorite Cheap Eats: Noodle Bowls of any ethnicity.
- Favorite No-Cook Food: Rainer Cherries (I have a slight addiction and I should seek counseling. Thankfully, cherries are not too dangerous.)
- Favorite Food Quote: “If you are afraid of butter, just use cream.” – Julia Child
- Favorite Non-Cooking Pastimes: Books on CD and Scrabble. I also sing with an awesome bunch of crustaceans, The Blue Lobster Troupe.
- The ten foods I’d take to a desert island:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sugar Snap Peas
Coffee, Cream and Sugar